The site of the Battle of Langside in May 1568. Langside, formerly known as Langsyd, developed from a small village settlement in the late 19th century. It is largely residential with a few shops, cafes and other businesses.
Battlefield's tenements, houses and shops developed in the later nineteenth century. It encompasses the site of the former Victoria Infirmary and New Victoria Hospital, Langside Campus of Clyde College and a variety of shops, cafes and services along Battlefield Road and Sinclair Drive.
This area stretches from Kilmarnock Road south of Queen's Park and north of the White Cart to Camphill Avenue. It contains a mixture of houses, late 19th century and early 20th century tenement flats alongside modern flats, with a wide range of shops, bars and restaurants on Kilmarnock Road.
About the area
Once part of the parish of Cathcart in Renfrewshire, this area has been part of Glasgow since 1891. There are about 7,500 households in the Community Council area.
It is one of the most densely populated areas of the city. There is a higher than average level of owner occupation and a relatively low crime rate. Queen's Park is the main recreational area and contains play areas, a boating lake, an open-air arena, tennis courts, a bowling club, GOALS five-a-side football, as well as a greenhouse and allotments.